Monday, October 09, 2006

Tips on weaving in ends.

When you are finishing up with your weaving in, and you go to tie a knot to secure everything before breaking the yarn...but a knot forms before you have pulled the yarn all the way through, DO NOT, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, pull out the scissors and cut it. You are probably cutting through actual knitting, which will proceed to unravel. Then you will have to do a frantic surgery on your mother's birthday gift, leaving a horrid scar behind.

Sigh. This needs to go in the mail tomorrow. But it was the best patch-up job I could do.

Here is the full thing, with scar not visible:


And, for good measure, this is the sock I am knitting at work (during lunch). It's plain stockinette, which means I can keep knitting even if someone comes to bother me during lunch, which happens all the time. I don't have to worry about staying in pattern.


Still, I am distraught about my mother's birthday socks. They were pretty well perfect until I went and did that. I suppose it could be worse, but it looks truly awful.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

My heart bleeds for your poor sock. (By the way, the repair doesn't look too shabby. I'm sure your mother won't even notice).
This is a mistake I too have learned the hard way. Nowadays, I am very very careful when I apply scissors to my knitwear.

Julie said...

You make the second person I know who's done that. Ouch!