Thursday, June 15, 2006

Sock Knitters - I need your help!

OK, this is primarily aimed at Michelle, but I know there are other people who read this that may be sock knitters, so anyone is welcome to respond.

When I knit socks, and go to pick up the stitches along the sides of the heel flap, I always end up with holes. I am at my wit's end. I am planning to give knit socks as Christmas gifts to quite a few family members. Seeing as how it usually takes me about 6 weeks to do a pair, that means I need to get moving NOW. So my question is, what do I need to do to stop the holes??? I read in a sock book that I should knit the picked up stitches from the back, but that seemed to make things even worse. So I am pleading with you. What do you do to avoid this? Is there maybe a better way to knit socks that doesn't involve picking up stitches (I can't imagine how)? Hellllllllllllllllllllp!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, if you knit a pattern with a short row heel then there's no heel flap and thus no picked up stitches. I've not yet done a pattern like that so unfortunately, I can't really recommend one but maybe someone else will know a good one.

I do the knit-through the back thing and that works for me but perhaps you're picking your stitches up already twisted.

SP

Anonymous said...

Good old Knitty- found a short row heel example there. Have a look at the lace sock: http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTfallingleaves.html

SP

Michelle said...

Thanks! Will check that out... I just plain suck at picking up stitches.

Anonymous said...

You can do the 'knit the picked up stitches through the back' thing- I do that sometimes, and it works for me. Here's a good tutorial-

http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/
archives/2005/10/theres_the_easy.htm

My other favourite technique is to create a garter stitch selvage on either side of the heel flap (the 'Embossed leaves socks' from Interweave Knits Winter 2005 use this technique) and then pick up the stitches at the point where the stockinette and garter stitch edges meet. Bingo! No gaping holes.
If you do end up with holes, you can simply darn them up. I've done that once or twice, too.

I've never tried a short row heel- will have to give it a go someday.