Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Yay!

So now that I get the point of Socktoberfest (thanks as usual Julie), I went and signed up.

Here are my answers to the questions posted yesterday:
  • When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
    I just tried it. I had finished up some hats/bags with DPNs after mostly knitting on circs, and figured I could give it a shot.
  • What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
    So here they are. I bought the pattern at the LYS and used self-patterning yarn. They are too big, not because of gauge problems, but because I apparently wasn't paying full attention to the pattern. Then I did a similar thing in a different way on the other sock. So I can only wear them around the house, definitely not with shoes...but they are very comfy. I machine washed them (not superwash yarn) hoping for a little shrinkage, but no luck. I still like wearing them.

  • What would you have done differently?
    Only paid attention to the pattern!
  • What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
    As with other types/weights of yarn, I love hand dyed... I have some lovely Socks that Rock yarn that I am dying to start using.
  • Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
    I knit them on DPNs. I would like to try on circs as I love knitting on circs, but it seems like a huge pain.
  • Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
    I've only done flap. I'd like to try short row because maybe it would be easier. My biggest challenge is picking up the stitches along the heel flap, because I suck at picking up stitches in general.
  • How many pairs have you made?
    Two pairs completed. I am currently working on two more pairs right now.

No comments: