Wednesday, May 03, 2006

SP8 Questionnaire Answers!

OK kids, here we go!

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I love alpaca and wool - these are what I have the most experience with. So far my top favorite is Manos Del Uruguay. Love it. I'm interested in trying some nice cotton or ribbon yarn, but haven't experimented with those yet. The only thing I really really don't like is the cheapie acrylic stuff from Walmart or something. I am also not a fan of Noro Kureyon, beautiful as it is, because in my experience it breaks all the time and that drives me crazy. I haven't tried any other Noro yarns so I don't know if their other products do the same thing or not.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

OK, this is embarrasssing, but nothing really. For awhile I had them all (ALL) in the same bag I was toting my most portable project in. Right now I have them on the bottom shelf of a sweater-shelf bag where I'm keeping all my yarn (will post photo later).

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I've been knitting since January 2005. I think I'm advanced beginner to intermediate. I've made several different types of bags (including a yoga mat bag), hats, one sweater, and some socks (besides all the obligatory scarves). On deck soon is a rug, which seems like a lot of fun.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Amazon, but I'm not entirely sure how to link to it. I'll try anyway.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

Vanilla, pumpkin, or coconut.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Unfortunately yes, in a major way. Dark chocolate is my poison of choice, but I prefer plain chocolate (can't stand the froufrou stuff like Godiva), or the dark chocolate Reese's cups (my own personal crack). I also have a soft spot in my heart for Frango.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

Um, I garden (organically), cook from scratch, and make my own cleaning supplies (yes, I'm a bit of an eco-freak who avoids chemicals whenever possible).

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

Primarily classical, new age, and eighties goth (including some bands that have gone way past the 80's such as The Cure and Clan of Xymox). Yes, I know these preferences seem very incompatible with each other. I do also like some of the mainstream 80's music but I get sick of it really fast, just like I did in the 80's. My computer can play MP3s, my (current) car stereo cannot, but I do have an iPod.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I. Love. Purple. My car is purple. I am instantly drawn to purple yarn. I like jewel tones and autumn colors in general. I wear a lot of black, but find it boring to knit with, at least on its own. I am not a fan of pastels.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I live with my husband and two cats. No children.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Scarves - yes. Hats - sometimes. Mittens - yes. Ponchos - not to date, but probably would as I tend to be cold all the time and have pondered knitting one.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I like trying new things, so not one particular thing I knit a lot of.

13. What are you knitting right now?

A pair of socks I'm not sure about, and a felted iPod cover (which I have been ignoring because frankly it's not at all fun to knit).

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Sure.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

For straight, I prefer bamboo. For circs, Addi-Turbos are my favorite. Overall I prefer circs but I haven't used them in about six months.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Yarn winder, no swift yet (contemplating buying one).

17. How did you learn to knit?

Via Stitch 'n Bitch. I am acquiring new skills by finding patterns that have something I want to learn, and just doing it.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?

Um, about 3 months old (and about 2 months ignored) Not sure if it's officially abandoned yet.

19. What is your favorite holiday?

Christmas. Most other holidays don't have a whole lot of meaning for me.

20. Is there anything that you collect?

Aside from yarn, not really.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I subscribe to Simply Knitting and Interweave Knits. I'm mostly looking to expand my horizons since I am fairly new to all this.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

My next technique goal is cabling.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Yep, a new one (done one pair so far, and it leaves a little to be desired). Measurements... Heel to toe 10 inches, and right now my tape measure is inacessible so I'll have to figure out the rest of it later.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

April 5th.

No comments: