Saturday, April 22, 2006

The garden begins...

Well, sort of.

I spent some time this afternoon pulling lots and lots of weeds that got ahead of me last year (it's so much easier when they're dead!) I didn't come close to getting the whole garden, though. We are now thinking of hiring someone to do the rest of the cleanup. It's going to be planting time before you know it, and with only me really able to do yardwork, it's kind of rough.

The only new things in so far are the irises, because a little frost won't hurt those. We do have some things started in the basement for transplant (tomatoes, eggplants, onions, leeks, cauliflower, broccoli), but the majority of the seeds I bought are really for direct seed. Mostly I hope we get some canteloupe like we did last year; it was the first time we grew it and it was absolutely amazing. Tons better than anything you can buy anywhere. I was pretty lukewarm on canteloupe until I had those. Now I can't wait for this year's crop!

The whole big scary list:
1 PACK, PUMPKIN, HOWDEN
1 PACK, WINTER SQUASH, DELICATA
1 PACK, WINTER SQUASH, BUTTERNUT
1 PACK, WINTER SQUASH, BUTTERCUP
1 PACK, WINTER SQUASH, BLUE BALLET
1 PACK, TOMATO, SLICING, BRANDYWINE
1 PACK, TOMATO, PASTE, SAN MARZANO
1 PACK, TOMATO, AMANA ORANGE
1 PACK, TOMATO, CHERRY, PRIZE OF THE TRIALS
1 PACK, CILANTRO, SLOW BOLT (SANTO CILANTRO)
1 PACK, PARSLEY, ITALIAN FLAT LEAF
1 PACK, LETTUCE, BUTTERHEAD, CAPITAINE
1 PACK, SUNFLOWER, EVENING SUN
1 PACK, SUNFLOWER, SUNSHINE
1 PACK, SUNFLOWER, RUSSIAN MAMMOTH
1 PACK, POLE BEAN DOW PURPLE PODDED SNAP
1 PACK, BEAN, SOYBEAN, EDAMAME SAYAMUSUME
1 PACK, BROCCOLI, EARLY GREEN
1 PACK, CARROT, RED CORE CHANTENAY
1 PACK, CORN, SWEET, STOWELLS
1 PACK, CUCUMBER, SATSUKI MADORI
1 PACK, LEEK, WINTER GIANT
1 PACK, MELON, MUSKMELON, HARVEST QUEEN
1 PACK, MELON, WATERMELON, SUGAR BABY
1 PACK, ONION, VALENCIA
1 PACK, PEA, SHELL, OREGON TRAIL
1 PACK, PEPPER, SWEET PURPLE BEAUTY BELL
Basil Sweet Genovese - Organic
Artichoke Violetto
Cauliflower Orange
Swiss Chard Bright Lights
Kaleidoscope Carrot Mix
Eggplant Violetta Lunga Precoce - Organic
Melon Pulsar Hybrid
Scallion Summer Bunching
Herb Thyme - Organic

(sorry for the all caps, but I copied from the confirmation email...I am way too lazy to retype all that)

That is going to be a TON of planting....but if we have a good summer, it'll also be a ton of eating :)

Now I am off to work on the cinnamon rolls I promised my husband would be tomorrow's breakfast!

No comments: